Celebrating 63 years in 2020
In 1957, Russell Farrell formed Bolton Electric and set out with a yellow and blue 1954 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery and a set of hand tools to solicit electrical work. Bolton Electric soon moved from his garage to an implement building on three acres of land in Bolton where the corporate head offices of Husky Injection Molding Systems are now located. Barry Stuart joined the firm as an apprentice in 1959. As the business grew, Bolton Electric built a new building at 7215 Torbram Road in Malton, 1800 square feet of office and 6000 square feet of shop while still maintaining the Bolton yard.
In 1963, Russell split up the company forming two separate entities; Bolton Electric Ltd. and Bolton Power Line Ltd. At this time they employed about 60 people. In 1967, Barry Stuart became a partner in Bolton Electric Ltd. and purchased the company in 1969. The same year Russ Farrell and Barry Stuart purchased 28 King Street West, the former home of Don Whitehead Motors. Bolton Electric operated from this location for many years until Barry Stuart moved the business to his residence in Colgan.
Russ Farrell sold Bolton Power Line Ltd. to Bennett and Wright Ltd. in 1972.
Even though the red Bolton Electric trucks were a common sight in the early days, Barry Stuart started having the Bolton Electric vans painted "Tropical Rose" pink in 1969, making those vehicles much more visible and establishing the official truck colour. The "Tropical Rose" vans, or "pink panthers" as they came to be known, were a familiar site on the roads of Southern Ontario for almost thirty years. In 1997, Nicholas Brooksbank changed the truck colors to black with a new "Tropical Rose" logo.
Nicholas Brooksbank joined the firm as an apprentice on January 1st, 1983 and purchased the company in July 1993. In 1999 Bolton Electric relocated to 50 Ann Street in downtown Bolton, former location of the Bolton Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. In May 1999, Bolton Electric took over the operations of Sumner Electric to facilitate expanding into the data/com market. John Sumner joined the team as Manager of Operations.
Charles Brooksbank, retired to British Columbia & found a new career teaching young apprentices at Capilano College.
In August 2009, operations moved to 12 Holland Drive, Bolton, moving to their current location at 15505 Centreville Creek Rd., Caledon in April 2016.
Charles Brooksbank, 3rd owner passed away in Vancouver B.C. in February 2002.
Russel Farrell, 1st owner passed away in Lindsay in May 2018.